Advertising

201 In critical condition after inhaling chemical from cylinder in Kano

Residents of less than 201 residents of Sharada Quarters in Kano State, on Friday, were admitted to hospital after inhaling chemicals from a metal detector.

Following the incident, the victims were taken to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Sharada Industrial Hospital and Ja’en Hospital for emergency treatment.

Advertising

Territorial coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency in Kano, Nuradeen Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in Kano on Saturday.

“A chemical explosion of a cylinder occurred on Friday around 4pm in the Sharada Industrial Area.

Advertising

“The victims were suffocated and unconscious,” he said.

It was reported that the deceased collapsed and fainted after inhaling toxic substances from a container discarded by other metals.

He said the chemicals in the pipe escaped from the air and caused the smokers to faint.

Advertising

Commenting on the incident, the Chief Medical Officer of Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Dr Hussaini Muhammad, said they had found more than 70 victims out of which 65 were in a stable condition.

“35 victims received treatment at Sharada Industrial Hospital and 96 at Ja’en Hospital,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Human Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Faruk, was visiting the victims at the hospital.

Advertising

He was represented by the Executive Secretary for Human Affairs, Dr Nasir Sani-Gwarzo.

He commended the hospital authorities, NEMA, SEMA and the Nigerian Red Cross, for their prompt response and support for the victims during the incident.

The Minister has assured the Department that he will support the victims.

Also Read:Policemen who responded to distress call fled on sighting gunmen at home of my slain campaign agent – Ex-information minister, Labaran Maku

Advertising

3 thoughts on “201 In critical condition after inhaling chemical from cylinder in Kano”

Leave a Comment